Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer Turkey Salads


Not the "turkey salad" that contains mayo and you eat it on bread or with crackers. I would never never make that (because I detest mayo, for all my new readers [2]). This is just a salad you should make in summer, because it's the peak of blueberry season. I was so so excited when I saw this recipe because we have 2 high bush blueberry bushes that have been very prolific this year and we have harvested (what seems to us like) a lot of blueberries. In years past the berries have been so bitter you could hardly use them. This year they are sweet and perfect, and Steve has been going out every few nights to pick them. As soon as I saw this recipe in the latest Simple & Delicious, I knew I would have to make it. And then once it was made I was so excited because they looked fabulous.

Summer Turkey Salads
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
8.8 oz turkey breast cutlets, cut into strips (I couldn't find these...I did find turkey breast "chops" so I used those)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg (5 oz) spring mix salad greens (I used a more palatable mix, but it did have baby spinach)
2 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges (I left these out)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup mandarin oranges
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Blueberry Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil

Combine flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Place egg in second shallow bowl. Combine walnuts and rosemary in third shallow bowl (good thing I have 3 of these). Coat turkey in flour mixture, then dip in egg, then coat with walnut mixture.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook turkey in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink.

Divide salad greens among four serving plates (or 3 if you live at my house); top with tomatoes, blueberries, oranges, onions, and turkey strips.

Process vinegar, blueberries, honey, and mustard in a blender (I used my Tupperware Quick Chef Pro...I LOVE that thing!). While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream (easy to do with the Quick Chef). Serve with salad.

This was a crazy good meal. My only critique is that the vinaigrette was, well, too vinegar-y. I had used a bit less of the vinegar than it called for, because I tend not to like it too much anyway, but next time I will cut it in half. Sam said he liked the salad, except for the "sauce." Steve loved this. He said it was like something you could get at a restaurant, and not even the type we usually frequent, such as KFC. It really looked so nice on the plates, and we loved that we were eating our own blueberries with it. Absolutely keeping this one.




No comments: