Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grasshopper Pie

Doesn't that sound great? Just think of the crunch of the grasshoppers. Eww. Really, of course, this is just a minty green pie. It's from the TOH Seasons cookbook I'm going through, and it's in the St Patrick's Day section. Which is 1 page long. Also they have a Mardi Gras section. But this one I think will still be good even though it's not March. I had intended to make this for home fellowship last week, but I was wikkid tired and forgot to take the Cool Whip out of the freezer. By the time I remembered, it was 4:00, and we have to leave the house at 5:30. So no dessert this week. But we didn't get kicked out or anything. It ended up working out though because Steve's BFF from high school who moved to North Carolina came for dinner last night, with my parents and his sweet wife & new baby. So we had it last night.

Grasshopper Pie
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 pkg (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
2 3/4 cup cool whip, divided (basically an 8 oz container)
1 pkg (4.67 oz) Andes candies, chopped, divided (it's annoying that you have to unwrap all of these...I wish they sold them already unwrapped)(also I used my sweet Tupperware choppy thing to chop these...I am getting a lot of use out of that chopper, which I think Stevie did not expect...I bet he thought it would be just another dust collector, but he thought wrong)
1 chocolate crumb crust (9 inches) (you probably could make your own but I didn't, I bought one)
1/4 tsp mint extract
2 drops green food coloring, optional

In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 3/4 cup cool whip. Fold in 3/4 cup candies. Spoon into crust.

In another bowl, combine extract and remaining cool whip; add food coloring if desired. Spread over pudding layer; sprinkle with remaining candies. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. 8 servings.

This was very yummy! Everyone seemed to like it. Shelley is like a spy and was able to guess all the ingredients while she was eating it. That was cool. It came together so easy and everyone liked it. Definitely going to keep this one. Even though Andes candies are expensive, and even though I had to unwrap each one.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have seen Andes mint chocolate chips. Except I think they are more like squares. So you could get those.

NewRecipeNight said...

what a good idea! I've never seen those but I will definitely look for them now! Thanks!