Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Frosting

This is what I made for home fellowship. Actually I couldn't find pumpkin anywhere. I either went to or called every grocery store in the Bangor area, and the only one they had, at one Hannaford, was organic pumpkin pie mix, which had spices and sugar added in. Of course I mean "evaporated cane juice" which is what the organic people say instead of sugar. This recipe starts with a spice cake mix, so I couldn't use the pumpkin pie mix. So I bought squash. One gourd is as good as another, right? They are pretty similar. According to answers.com, Any cooked squash will do with the exception perhaps of spaghetti squash, the texture will be similar. There will be slight variations in color and depth of flavor Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_replace_squash_for_pumpkin#ixzz1YBwssgWQ They added that hyperlink, but that's okay so you can see it for yourself. Of course I just now looked that up, so I could confirm it for you guys. I figured it was true. And the cupcakes came out looking like they should, so it is apparently fine. This is the last one I have marked from the Kraft Food & Family Fall 2011.

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Frosting
1 pkg spice cake mix
1 cup sour cream (I used vanilla yogurt, because I don't really like sour cream, plus it has way more fat that yogurt)
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (or gourd of your choice...)
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
16 oz pkg powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 350. Beat first 5 ingredients with mixer until well blended; spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cool completely.

Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in cinnamon. Spread over cupcakes. Store frosted cupcakes in refrigerator.

I didn't get to eat any of these because I had to work. But Steve said they were good. He left the leftovers at the Hinchliffe's house though, so it makes me doubtful. Because if it was something he totally loved, he would not have left the rest there. So other people that were there will have to chime in. Good recipe for fall, and they smelled great.

No comments: