Thursday, September 8, 2011

Saucy Pan Steak

Steve loves steak and potatoes. Actually I do too. So even though this came from the ad magazine posing as a cooking magazine, Kraft Food & Family, I decided to try it anyway. Minus the mushrooms, because those are slimy and gross. And sometimes poisonous. Too risky.

Saucy Pan Steak
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 portobello mushroom, sliced
1/2 tsp pepper
2 bone-in beef T-bone steaks, 1/2 inch thick
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup A-1 Original steak sauce (there's the thing they want you to buy. But I already had some)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 cup hot mashed potatoes (of course I made more than 1 cup of these)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on med-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms; cook 6-8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet.

Rub pepper onto both sides of steaks. Add to skillet; cook 4 minutes, turning after 2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together broth, steak sauce, brown sugar, and flour.

Top steaks with cooked vegetables and broth mixture; cover. Cook on med-low heat 7-8 minutes or until steaks are medium doneness (160 degrees) and sauce is thickened. Serve with potatoes.

Also we had this with corn. The two little ones think they don't like steak, but that's fine because more for us. Also they think they don't like real mashed potatoes. I already put this on my facebook status, but Emma told me she only likes mashed potatoes from a factory (she means the Betty Crocker instant flavored ones) and Nathan said he only likes potato CHIPS. So Emma had leftover apple pancake from last night and Nathan had chicken nuggets and a banana and corn. So everyone was happy. Except Samuel, who apparently ALSO does not like steak because it's too hard to cut and then chew. So. Steak is wasted on these guys. Steve loved it though. When he put the first bite in his mouth he leaned over to give me a kiss. He never does that. Not even usually with peanut butter desserts. Well he gives me lots of kisses, they're just not usually food related. I feel like I've said too much. Anyway the "gravy" came out really yum, and tasted great on the potatoes. Definitely keeping this one. Also I ended up using all my A1 in this recipe, so I guess Kraft got me one way or the other.

No comments: