Monday, September 19, 2011

Black Bean Tortilla Pie

Yummy Mexican-ness. Also meatless, so cheaper. From the TOH Seasons cookbook I've been going through.



Black Bean Tortilla Pie
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped (Dominique's green pepper woot!)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable broth (I used 2 cups of my own stock)
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn, thawed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
4 flour tortillas (they were out of white ones, so I bought whole wheat. They don't taste as good, and they are less pliable to use in leftovers, but oh well)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided

In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper, garlic, cumin, and pepper in oil. Add beans and broth. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup. Stir in corn and green onions; remove from heat.

Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray (I don't have one of those, so I used a circular 2-qt baking dish. Mom, if you want to get me a springform pan for Christmas, I think I would like it hee hee). Layer with 1 1/2 cups bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice (I always end up using more cheese). Top with remaining tortilla. Place pan on baking sheet.

Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Remove sides of the pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cut into wedges.

We had this with salsa on the side.

This was SO good. We had 5 kids eating this tonight and they all liked it. Steve and I loved it. No leftovers. Definitely a keeper. Really.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

We made this tonight and it was so yummy! Even the kids (except Elias, but he only eats peanutbutter sandwiches) loved it. It tasted really good with chipotle sauce on it. We are definitely making it again. Thank you for sharing!