Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cardamom Sour Cream Waffles

Well it's been a while since I posted any new recipes. Like 11 days or something. We had a very busy but awesome Christmas week, and I just stuck to my regular recipes. I got a new cookbook for Christmas from my mom which I am excited to go through. I've already marked a LOT of the recipes to try, but first I have to finish up the books I'm already going through.

We had this recipe last night, from the latest Simple & Delicious. Thanks to a great friend and blog reader, Jill, I now have cardamom, so as soon as I saw this one I knew I'd be trying it. I wish it didn't have sour cream in the name though. If you tell someone you are making "sour cream waffles" I bet they won't be that excited. So when I write this one down in my "keeper book" I'm just going to write Cardamom Waffles. I don't even like sour cream. I'm not quite as afraid of it as I am of mayo, but it's close. However I will cook with it, I just won't use it as a condiment.

Cardamom Sour Cream Waffles
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour from the NLC, which I love using. When you eat it you can't even tell)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla in another bowl. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.

These smelled so good while they were baking. They tasted great too. The picture in the magazine shows them being served with kiwi and banana slices on top. That didn't sound good to me at all. I had mine with strawberries, powdered sugar, and whipped cream in a can. The others had theirs the regular way, with butter and syrup (because they don't like strawberries, not because I wouldn't share). These were really good and really easy. Definitely a keeper.

No comments: