Friday, April 6, 2012

Carnitas Tacos

Steve, who took 4 or 5 years of Spanish while he was in school, and now has been called to minister to country that speaks a French dialect, which is funny and God totally has a sense of humor, tells me that "carnitas" means "little meat." I will have to trust him, because most of my Spanish vocabulary comes from Dora, and I don't think meat has ever come up. We had this Monday night with Melissa & co. Melissa likes Mexican, and I do too, and also this makes a lot, which is good. From April/May 2012 Simple & Delicious.

Carnitas Tacos
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 lbs) (also, which is it? A shoulder or a butt? It makes a gross mental picture)
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
12 flour tortillas, warmed
2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
Sour cream, optional (I don't like it. At all. But Melissa does so I bought some)

Cut roast in half; place in 4 or 5 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Pour tomatoes over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat from slow cooker; shred with two forks (this took way longer than I thought it should have). Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Place 1/2 cup on each tortilla using a slotted spoon; top with cheese. Serve with sour cream if desired.

Okay so these were okay. Not great, but not awful. Just regular. Not keeping it because I have other recipes like this that I liked way better.

No comments: