Friday, April 6, 2012

Sweet Onion & Carrot Medley

We had this with the turkey recipe I just posted. My kids like carrots and "sugar snaps," as we call them (they don't know the whole name of the veggie is "sugar snap peas" because then they would think they didn't like them). From the same issue of Simple & Delicious. From the same page, even.

Sweet Onion and Carrot Medley
2 cups fresh baby carrots
1/2 lb fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp minced chives
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place 1 inch of water in a large skillet; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in peas; cover and cook 3 minutes longer. Drain; remove from pan and set aside.

Saute onion in oil in same skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chives, honey, salt, pepper, and vegetables; heat through.

It's not often that a vegetable dish will take longer than your main course. At least, not for me. This one took a while, but it was really good. I think the carrots could have used a little longer. Also I used frozen sugar snaps, thawed. The kids weren't crazy about these, but I thought it was a nice change. And it's all stuff they like. But they didn't believe me about that. Saving the recipe anyway.

No comments: