Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chicken Taco Rice

We had this one for supper tonight. It's the last recipe I have marked this issue of Simple & Delicious (April/May 2012). I knew we would like this one, and I was right.

Chicken Taco Rice
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips (I cubed mine)
1 green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp olive oil
14 1/2 oz can chicken broth (I used 2 cups homemade veggie broth)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
3 tbsp taco seasoning
2 cups instant brown rice
1 can (15 1/4 oz) corn, drained (I used 1 cup frozen)
Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for toppings (of course you know I didn't use the sour cream)

Saute chicken, peppers, and onion in oil in a large skillet until chicken is no longer pink. Add the broth, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice and corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with toppings.

Nathan watched me make this and could smell it cooking. He said "are we having tacos? Please tell me we're having tacos!" When I told him it was like tacos, but with chicken, imagine his delight (from the child who LOVES chicken). After his first bite he was nodding his head vigorously while he chewed and saying "mmmmm-hmmmm." The rest of us liked it too, but were not as expressive as he was. Easy and yummy. A keeper for sure.

No comments: