Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cinnamon-Apple Crisp

Of course I've made apple crisp before.  And blueberry crisp.  But the topping on this one sounded so yummy.  It doesn't have oatmeal in it like most "crisp" recipes.  It's flour based.  But also it's not so much flour that this is a cobbler, really.  It's from Simple & Delicious, and I made it for home fellowship last Friday.

Cinnamon-Apple Crisp
6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (took no time at all with the help of my friend Barbie)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
Topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 egg, lightly beaten
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

Combine apples, sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Transfer to an 11x7 inch baking dish (I used an apple crisp dish that my mother in law gave me for my birthday 2 years ago.  It's apple shaped, even); dot with butter.

For topping, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg in another large bowl.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in egg just until moistened; sprinkle over filling.

Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.  Serve warm with ice cream and/or whipped cream.

This was so good!  The apples were sweet and perfect.  Probably you could make this with way less sugar, but I'm not going to.  Definitely keeping it!

No comments: