Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

I bought this bag of Hershey's butterscotch chips at Christmas time when I had a good coupon, but didn't really have a use for them in mind.  Today I made the recipe on the bag for these oatmeal cookies.  I have never made these before, although I have eaten them at other people's houses.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour (I used 3/4 cup white and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups quick cooking or regular oats (I used quick)
1 3/4 cups (1 bag) butterscotch chips

Heat oven to 375.  Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until well blended.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.  Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until well blended.  Stir in oats and butterscotch chips, mixing well (I think this would have been crazy hard without my Kitchen Aid).  Drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool slightly; remove to wire racks to cool completely.  About 4 dozen cookies.

The kids really liked them.  Nathan was sure they were caramel cookies, and Emma asked me if I put syrup in them.  Sam said 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Those are some good reviews.  I didn't like them as well as oatmeal raisin, but those are my favorite favorite, so I didn't expect to.

No comments: