Saturday, October 10, 2015

Succulent Seasoned Chicken

A few years ago my mom got me a cookbook called The Church Potluck Supper Cookbook.  Since I was raised in church, and in Baptist churches, I am extremely familiar with the concept of a church potluck.  I must have been to 972 of them over the years.  I have very fond memories of standing in lines and going past all these dishes on the table, and taking some of this and some of that and NONE of that and does that have mayonaisse and oh yeah I had that last time and it was good and OH MAN the meatballs are gone??  To this day if I go to any church function and there is no food, I feel like something is missing, and I'm all "should we have snacks next time?"  It's become a bit more challenging recently since I had to give up gluten, but I can still go through the lines with my kids and get that lovin' feeling.  I just started going through this cookbook and I have a bunch of recipes marked to try.  Here we go....

Succulent Seasoned Chicken
3 tbsp butter
4 chicken breast halves (it doesn't say boneless but that's what I had so that's what I used)
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 lemon, cut in wedges
1/2 cup marsala (to a church potluck??  These people certainly weren't Baptist...I used chicken broth)

Butter chicken breasts and sprinkle with seasonings.  Squeeze lemon juice on top of seasoned chicken.  Put wine (or BROTH) in bottom of baking pan and top with chicken.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

I can't believe I forgot to take any pictures!  I meant to before it went into the oven, and then I meant to again once it was on the plates :( sorry.  Anyway what I ended up doing is combining the softened butter with the sage, thyme, pepper, and ginger, and then smearing that butter over the chicken breasts before cooking.  Since I cooked it in broth, once the chicken was on the plates, I sliced them all fancy and then drizzled some of the pan juices over the top to keep it moist...we had it with mixed veggies and GF biscuits (that I made with GF Bisquick...I have made them from scratch but it's like 10 times more work so in a hurry I use the GF Bisquick).  A good dinner overall.

No comments: