Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Garlic-Ginger Turkey Tenderloins

We had this on Sunday, for lunch after church. Now that I'm not working Sundays, I can cook things that take longer than 7 minutes to prepare.  This recipe came from Simple & Delicious Oct/Nov 2015.  They served it with what looks like maybe kale, I'm not sure, but it's definitely green.  We had ours with brown rice and mixed veggies.  I always buy mixed veggies without lima beans, because when I was little I hated picking the lima beans out of my mixed vegetables.  Mom always let me pick them out, though, which is weird, since she  made me eat so many other things.  Maybe she doesn't like them either....





Garlic-Ginger Turkey Tenderloins
3 tbsp brown sugar, divided
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp soy sauce, divided
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pkg (20 oz) turkey breast tenderloins
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth

Preheat oven to 375.  In a saucepan, mix 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and pepper.

Place turkey tenderloins in 9x13 dish sprayed with cooking spray; drizzle with half of the soy sauce mixture.  Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until 165.

Meanwhile, add cornstarch and the remaining brown sugar and soy sauce to the remaining mixture in saucepan; stir until smooth.  Stir in chicken broth.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.  Slice turkey; serve with sauce.  4 servings

So, turkey tenderloins are expensive, it turns out.  Mine was like $9.something for two of them. You could easily do this with chicken breasts if you like the sound of the sauce.  I cut each tenderloin in half, and it still took closer to 40 minutes for them to get to 165. 

For the ginger, I don't buy gingerroot (I did that once and it sat in the fridge for like 5 months before I just threw it away...it's pretty cheap to buy that way though).  I either buy it in the fresh vegetable aisle, near the fresh herbs and spices, and they sell it in a thing like a toothpaste tube and it's all minced up.  Or, I buy it near the frozen vegetables, in a little tray that has cubes of it all minced up (you can get cilantro either of these ways, too).  I do have powdered ginger in my spice rack that I use if the recipe says ground ginger, but if it says fresh, that's how I do it.  Also, if your soy sauce is gluten free, this is too.  I am really appreciating recipes I don't have to alter and wonder about to make them GF.

So this was pretty good.  The sauce was good over the rice.  I cut it like I did in the picture because we had a (somewhat) unexpected guest for lunch, and this way I could cut all the turkey like that, and then divided it among 6 plates, and nobody even knows I only had 4 halves to start with.  Pretty sneaky, and all part of being a Sneaky Peeky Spy in the kitchen.

No comments: