Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sante Fe Chicken & Rice

We had this for lunch today after church.  It's from the latest Simple & Delicious that I've been working through. I have no idea if they actually make their food like this in Santa Fe.  This recipe name has not been fact-checked.  And the lady that submitted it is from Texas.  So that's confusing.  But anyway.  In the magazine, the recipe is for 2 servings, but I doubled everything...I'll type it out the way that I prepared it.



Santa Fe Chicken & Rice
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/3 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat.  Add onion; cook and stir until tender. 

Add chicken broth, salsa, and garlic powder; bring to a boil.  Stir in rice; return to boil.  Place chicken over rice.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is 165, turning chicken halfway through.

Remove from heat.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and let stand until cheese is melted.

So easy, and I love that it all cooks in one skillet so clean up was easy, too.  When I saw this recipe I was thinking it would be easy, and yummy, so I'll make it.  I did not expect the reactions I got from the kids...they all loved it!  Nathan said it was the best thing I've ever made (he says that a lot though, if he's eating something he really likes...but still).  You may notice in the picture that one piece of chicken is cheese-less.  Because we have a cheese hater here.  I have tried sneaking it in but he can always tell.  So I make allowances when I can easily.  We will definitely have this again.  It was so good and so easy.

No comments: