Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Autumn Apple Chicken

I have a friend that doesn't like to make casseroles, because she doesn't like to cook things twice.  For example, she doesn't like to make all the ingredients for shepherd's pie and then have to cook it in the oven, too.  I tried to tell her she could use the oven time to wash all the prep dishes (or load the dishwasher) and then after the meal you just have the plates and the casserole dish to deal with.  She remains unconvinced. I was thinking of her and her philosophy today when I was prepping this because you have to brown the chicken, then saute the onions, then deglaze the pan...and then cook it for hours in the crock pot.  Haha, I thought, Becky would never do this.  And really this recipe is not the type that you can dump everything in the crock pot in the morning and then have dinner ready when you get home (I do really like that kind though).  This was as much prep work as any dinner, except done after lunch instead of right before supper.  However it worked well for me today because I had a dentist appointment this afternoon, so before I went I prepped everything, then when I got home all I had to do was make the rice and corn.  This one is from Simple & Delicious.



Autumn Apple Chicken
1 tbsp canola oil
4 bone-in chicken thighs (skin removed)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2-3 gala apples, chopped (I used 3 because my apples were smallish)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
¼ cup apple cider
1 tbsp honey

In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Brown chicken thighs on both sides; sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Transfer to crock pot; top with apples.

Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until tender.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.  Stir in barbecue sauce, cider, and honey; increase heat to med-high.  Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen brown bits from pan.  Pour over chicken and apples.  Cook in crock pot on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.



First I will say this was barely enough chicken and I should have realized that and made 6 thighs instead of just 4.  Good thing we had nobody extra over for dinner.  Also, Nathan did not like this.  Usually he loves chicken made any way, unless it has cheese.  This he did not like.  Due to the nature of the servings, he & Emma split the 4th thigh, so he had maybe 6 bites' worth of chicken and I really had to push him to eat it.  But everybody else really liked it.  The sauce over the rice was so good.  The apples together with the chicken were lip-smackingly-delicious.  We will definitely be having this again.  And poor Nathan will have to have PB&J......don't feel bad for him though.  He actually would prefer that most nights...

No comments: