Saturday, November 28, 2015

Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bake

I've been wanting to try a baked oatmeal recipe for a while, because they always sound so yummy.  But my children are not oatmeal lovers.  They like it in cookies and homemade granola bars, but not in a bowl, hot.  Except two of them like Quaker instant oatmeal.  But they each have their own flavor, and that is the only one they like.  But I thought "I am making this" because we have our own blueberry bushes and I always like to find new recipes to use our blueberries in.  Also my parents were coming over for dinner so I knew at least most of this would get eaten, even if it wasn't a kid favorite.  I told them "everybody has to eat this.  But not everybody has to like it."  It's from the Simple & Delicious that I'm working through.  We had this with potato pancakes (because once again we made way too many mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving), applesauce, orange slices, and of course, bacon.

Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Bake
1 ½ cups 2% milk
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 ¼ cups old-fashioned oats
2 med bananas, sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Topping
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter, softened
½ cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350.  In a bowl, whisk the milk, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until blended.  Stir in oats.

Arrange banana slices in a single layer in greased 9-in square baking pan; top with blueberries.  Pour oatmeal mixture over the top, spreading evenly. 


Bake 25-30 minutes or until set.  Remove from oven.  Preheat broiler.

For topping, in small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, and butter with a fork til crumbly; stir in pecans.  Sprinkle over oatmeal.  Broil 7-8 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I have no picture of the finished product!  You know how when you are making a bunch of things and then everything is ready all at once and everyone is ready to eat?  That's what happened here, and I forgot until I was putting the (small amount of) leftovers away that I hadn't taken a picture of the end result with the topping on it.  Sorry :(

My parents both ate this and said they liked it.  Steve and Emma both had seconds!  (whaaaaa??? She never does that...and she said she really liked it!).  Nathan would only eat two scraped off banana slices and would not even try a bite with everything in it.  Sam said...eh, not as bad as it could be (he is a big oatmeal disliker).  So, the verdict is, I'm keeping the recipe.  Emma having seconds cancels out Nathan having none, and everybody else's reactions were acceptable.

No comments: