Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Apple Snickerdoodle Bars

Ok this one was so good that I forgot to take a picture.  And there were no leftovers to take a picture of after the meal, which I sometimes do if I forget.  This recipe is from the Simply Gluten Free magazine my sister gave me.  This recipe is in the dessert section of the magazine, but I thought it seemed more like a coffee cake than dessert.  So we had this for lunch on Sunday, with eggs, bacon & fruit.  I will take a picture of their picture, which I hope is not copyright infringement, but it's not as if I'm trying to pass it off as my own.  I'm telling you right now that this is their picture.  You could very easily make this Glutinous instead of gluten free by using regular flour.  I bet it would still be good.
Apple Snickerdoodle Bars
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup plus 3 tbsp sugar, divided
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour (or GF flour blend)
½ tsp fine sea salt
1 ½ cups peeled, diced apples (I used gala because that's my favorite)
1 ½ tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 8x8 pan.  In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and brown sugar, and stir well.  Stir in the egg, vanilla, flour (or flour blend), salt, and apples.  Spread into prepared pan.

In a small bowl, combine the 3 tbsp sugar with the cinnamon.  Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter. 

Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown.  Let cool completely in the pan.

We did not let it cool completely.  So it was a bit crumbly and we had to eat it with forks.  But it tasted so good!  You could really taste the butter and brown sugar.  Nathan said "I'm not going to like this.  You know I don't like cooked apples."  But then he had seconds.  And so did everybody.  Really it was so so good.  We will for sure have this again.

No comments: