Saturday, December 26, 2015

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls

I should have known better.  Probably when you saw the title, you winced a little.  But I've been on such a roll lately (get it?) that I thought I could make these.  On Christmas morning.  Thankfully it was just us and my parents, so no Food Network people to try to impress or anything.  And it starts with gluten free Bisquick, which I am pretty much in love with (until this stunt it pulled).  But after trying the recipe, it seems like they just used a regular old recipe and subbed in the GF Bisquick instead of actually trying this.   I couldn't even take pictures to show you how bad it was, #1 due to my hands being perpetually covered in dough and #2 due to my rage.  I shall have to paint word pictures for you.  First, the recipe.  It's from BettyCrocker.com.  Who have no idea what they are talking about or the heartache they cause with willy-nilly cinnamon roll recipes.

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
3 cups Bisquick™ Gluten Free mix  
1/4 cup granulated sugar 
1 1/4 cups milk 
1 egg 
1/4 cup butter, melted 
1 cup powdered sugar 
1/4 cup whipping cream 

  • Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray (without flour). In small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
  • In large bowl, stir Bisquick mix, granulated sugar, milk and egg until dough forms.
  • Place dough on surface sprinkled with additional Bisquick mix; knead 5 times. Roll dough into 16x12- inch rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter; sprinkle evenly with brown sugar mixture. Starting at short side, roll up tightly; pinch edge of dough to seal well. Cut into 1 1/2-inch slices. In pan, place slices, cut sides down. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter.
  • Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
  • In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and whipping cream until smooth. Spread glaze over rolls. Serve warm.

Okay you can probably guess when it all started going downhill.  I sprinkled like it said.  Rolled out the dough into the approximate shape of a rectangle (with difficulty since the dough wanted to stick the rolling pin very much).  Brushed with butter, sprinkled with reserved brown sugar mixture.  Then.  Could not.  Roll. It. Up.  Family members gathered around to see what I was screeching at.  First it stuck to the pastry mat.  Even though I sprinkled the surface of said pastry mat like it said to.  Then, once I painstakingly could get a few inches of dough off of the pastry mat (using a small rubber spatula coated with GFB) and finally could roll it, it broke.  By the end of it, it by no means looked like a roll.  It was more like a stack of layered dough.  I did smack it a few times for good measure, because it made me feel better to hit it.  If this had been a fail with regular ingredients, I would have thrown it away.  But GFB is like $4/box and it used almost a whole box.  And I am stubborn.  So I proceeded to cut it into slices and gingerly move them, while they are falling apart, into the prepared pan.  They looked funny.  Instead of nice circles, they were more gourd-shaped.  I baked them, figuring they would taste fine even if they were not cinnamon "rolls" at all.  Once they were cool, I did prepared the glaze as instructed.  But then I remembered that I bought Whipped Cream Cheese frosting for $1 at Marden's the other day.  SO.  I knew that would make them more palatable, if they were dry or otherwise unappetizing.  So that's what we had on top of them.  

Needless to say, I will not be attempting this again.  I guess some things you have to do without when you are GF.  Either do without, or pay mega-dollars to buy frozen Udi's ones (which I've never tried before but would consider now)(only for a special occasion like Jesus's birthday, not too often, because I'm not made of money).

No comments: