Saturday, February 11, 2017

BBQ Chicken Cornbread Skillet

You must have seen those videos on facebook, where they show you step by step how to make a recipe.  I usually watch them.  And I think "that is way too much work," or "yuck," or, sometimes, "Mmmmm that looks yummy."  So this recipe was one of those.  It's from delish.com. If you watch the video you get a good idea of the effort and ingredients involved, and if you want to bother or not.  Then you click on the link and you can get the complete recipe.  That's what I did, and I'm sure you could easily go to delish.com and find the video if you're interested.   This is the second time I've made this. The first time my parents were eating with us, so I omitted the red onion, because they hate onions (of any color; they don't discriminate).  For tonight, I did use the onion, and it was very yummy.  This is also an easy recipe to modify if you are (or are feeding those who are) gluten free, because it starts with a boxed cornbread mix, which you can get GF or regular.  I bought a GF box the first time, but tonight I used a GF recipe that I really like that I've used in the past.  If you are making it GF, just double check that your BBQ sauce is GF...I use Sweet Baby Ray's, and it is.

BBQ Chicken Cornbread Skillet
1 box corn muffin mix
½ cup corn kernels
1 red onion, thinly sliced
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 1/3 cup BBQ sauce, divided
1 lime, juiced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped scallions

Prepared cornbread mix by package directions, adding corn kernels.  Pour into greased Dutch oven and bake by pkg directions until done.

Meanwhile, saute the onions over medium heat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add chicken, 1 cup bbq sauce, and the lime juice and heat over medium-low heat til warmed through. 

Remove dutch oven from oven and poke holes over surface of the cornbread.  Brush remaining bbq sauce over top of the cornbread.  Cover evenly with chicken mixture.  Sprinkle chicken with cheese.  Cover and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.  Remove cover and bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Top with scallions before serving.
As you can see, I left a little corner with no cheese, for my cheese hater.  And I also forgot to buy scallions, or I would have used them.  The color and crunch would have been nice, but not necessary.  If you are lactose intolerant, the Kraft shredded Mexican cheese pictured is lactose free (it says it right on the back of the bag).  Cabot block cheeses have a lot of lactose free ones too.  It's getting easier, my food intolerant friends!

This picture doesn't look like something delish.com would feature, but it does give you a better idea of what the layers look like:
Very yummy, and obviously we'll have it again, since this is the second time we've had it ;)


No comments: