Saturday, February 18, 2017

Chicken and Biscuits (GF)

This is kind of like a pot-pie filling with a biscuit topping.  Very yummy.  This has a from-scratch biscuit topping, but you could use a mix, or I bet you could even use the Pillsbury biscuits in a can, but cut them into fourths and sprinkle them over the top.  Of course don't do that if you don't eat gluten hahaha but if you just like the sound of this recipe and you eat gluten, that's a good option, and it would make the prep time quicker, too.  This is from the Hiebert's GF cookbook that I got at the Amish country store last year.

Chicken and Biscuits (GF)
1 ¼ cups peas
1 ¼ cups diced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup melted butter
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
½ cup GF flour mix
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Biscuits:
2 cups GF flour mix
1 tsp xanthan gum (if GF mix doesn't have)
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
½ cup cold butter
¾ cup milk (may need more)

Steam peas and carrots just until tender; drain, if necessary.  Meanwhile, saute onion in butter for 10 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup flour, stirring constantly with whisk.  Combine broth and milk.  Gradually stir into butter mixture, stirring constantly til thickened.  Add salt and pepper.  Stir in chicken and vegetables.


Put into greased 9x13 pan.


For biscuits, stir together dry ingredients.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add milk and stir until batter forms (batter will be very sticky). 

Dab biscuit batter over the top of the chicken mixture

and bake at 350 for 30 minutes until golden brown.
So so good.  But I knew I would like it because this is pretty much my favorite kind of food to eat.  A couple notes: obviously you can buy a bag of frozen peas and carrots and throw those in instead of dicing carrots etc.  That's what I did; 5 minutes in the microwave and they were done.  I also had to use a lot more milk than the 3/4 cup it said, but that may have been based on the flour blend I used (I used Bob's Red Mill in the blue bag).  This cookbook has their own flour blend that they recommend, but I can't make every single flour blend that every GF cookbook tells me to, or I'd be here all day.  I've had very good luck with every recipe in this cookbook using the BRM blue bag blend.

We had 2 extra kids here last night.  Everybody liked the filling; a couple kids left the biscuit behind, but that's ok.  Nathan had seconds, which is almost unheard of.  So, I guess you could say it's a good recipe (pretend I said that in my Kip voice [from Napoleon Dynamite]).  We'll definitely be having this one again.  I might use GF Bisquick, because I always have a lot of that, because I order it on Amazon's "subscribe and save" and I keep forgetting to go on there and tell them to skip this month's delivery haha.




No comments: