Wednesday, March 29, 2017

10-Cup Cookies (aka "Kitchen Sink Cookies")

A good subtitle for these cookies would be "cookies your husband will hate" because my husband doesn't like coconut, pecans, or raisins in his cookies.  He does like all the other ingredients.  The picture with this recipe looked very yummy and I do like all these things, so I decided to make them and bring most of them to Women's Bible Study last night.  This recipe only has 1 cup of regular flour, and usually cookie recipes with only a small amount of flour are easily turned into GF recipes...so because of the oatmeal and peanut butter in this recipe, I knew that they would be yummy GF.  That has not been the case with every recipe I've tried to adapt, but I've learned.  And these turned out very yummy.

They call these "10-Cup Cookies" because there are 10 cups' worth of ingredients...but I've seen other recipes that call similar cookies "Kitchen Sink Cookies" because you put everything in there but the kitchen sink.  When I took them last night, I labeled them as "Kitchen Sink" because that seemed more self-explanatory than "10-Cup."  This recipe is from the America's Best Recipes: Comfort Food cookbook.

10-Cup or Kitchen Sink Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour (regular or GF)
1 cup quick oats
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup raisins
1 cup chocolate chips 

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugars (either in stand mixer or with hand mixer...or I suppose by hand if you are rugged).  Add eggs, one at a time.  Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl and then add to creamed mixture.  Stir in pecans, coconut, raisins, and chocolate chips.

Drop dough by level spoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets (or stones).

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until golden.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

Look how yummy:

So, these cookies do have shortening in them.  I left it that way, because dairy is another enemy of mine.  But if you have no problem with dairy, you could try these with butter instead, although I think the dough might have to be refrigerated a bit to keep the cookies from spreading.  And I think you might have to turn the oven up to 375 so the butter gets yummy and browned in the dough.  Or, just try it at 350 and see.  I also had leftover coconut and pecans from other recipes, so I didn't have to buy them for this.  But it could easily become an expensive recipe if you tried to buy all the things for this.  I'm sure you could just throw in other ingredients that you already have to keep from buying too much. 

Even my nut-hating children loved these.  I think there are so many flavors going on that taste so good together, they couldn't pick out the one thing they didn't like.  My husband ate one, too.  He didn't say much.  He would never choose these for cookies, but hey, it is a cookie.  Most of the ones I brought to Bible study did get eaten, and AUNDRA said that she ate one and it was good.  High praise from a gluten lover ;)

No comments: