Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Triple-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes are something I've only recently begun to tolerate.  As a child I would never ever ever eat them.  As an adult, I am trying to be better about eating things I know are good for me.  I mean, within limits.  I'm not out eating asparagus or anything that green.  Let's not go crazy.  But I feel like a sweet potato is something I should like.  I love potatoes, and I love Thanksgiving food and leftovers.  This recipe is meant to use up Thanksgiving leftovers.  But, if you are like me and make a turkey whenever you feel like it, you'll have to buy the other ingredients too because you won't have them filling up every corner of your fridge after the Big Meal.  This recipe is totally worth it all though.  We've had it twice now (the first time during my long hiatus last year), and the first time we were all kind of skeptical.  This time we gobbled them up and there were no leftovers.  Next time I'm going to need to start with more sweet potatoes so that everyone can have seconds if they want them.  This recipe is from Simple & Delicious.

Triple-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
4 med sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs)
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp brown sugar
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup whole berry cranberry sauce
3 cups cooked cubed turkey
½ cup mini marshmallows
½ cup chopped pecans, (Optional)
½ cup flaked coconut, (Optional)

Preheat oven to 425.  Scrub and pierce potatoes with fork; place on microwave-safe plate.
 
Microwave uncovered on high for 12-14 minutes or until tender, turning once (mine took quite a bit longer than this, probably because my potatoes were on the larger side). 

When cooled enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. 

Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-inch thick shells. 

Put shells on cookie sheet.

In a bowl, mash pulp with butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.  Stir in cranberry sauce.  Fold in turkey, marshmallows, and pecans (if using them)(I didn't). 

Spoon filling into shells.  Top with coconut if using (I wasn't...the hubs is not a coconut fan). 

Bake 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
Did you see the black thing in the picture above that I used to scoop out the potatoes?  It's a Pampered Chef thing that they market as a way to scoop out the ribs of green peppers.  But I found it very handy for this, too.  But last time I made this, I didn't have that scoop yet, and I just used a spoon.  It worked fine. 

Also, a happy accident this time: I forgot to add the marshmallows to the filling and didn't realize until they were in the oven.  So I added them on top once they were baked, and put them back in the oven for 1-2 minutes.  The tops got lightly toasted, just like a perfect smores marshmallow, and they tasted SO GOOD that way.  So that's the way I'm doing it from now on.

The other thing I loved about this recipe is that it's naturally GF and DF (except the butter) so I didn't have to think too hard about modifications the way I do with other favorite recipes. 

One last thing:  I should have had a side dish.  These were scrumptious, but they looked pretty lonely on the plates.  A side salad or green beans would have been a good addition.  So next time I'll do that, too. 

No comments: