Monday, September 24, 2007

Oatmeal Raspberry Bars

Now, these were good. And so easy...I think everyone would like them. And easy to alter to suit your tastes. It's from the Gooseberry Patch Meals in Minutes cookbook. They have a whole dessert section called "Treats in a Twinkle" but this is the only one out of that chapter that sounded good to me. So anyway....

Oatmeal Raspberry Bars
18.5 oz pkg yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
12 oz jar raspberry jam (here's where you could use whatever you wanted. I used seedless, and it was a 16 oz jar, but I just used all of it)
1 tbsp water (I didn't use this, see below)
For glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar & warm water....Combine powdered sugar with enough water to form desired consistency (I found this not at all helpful. I will tell you about how much water I used, which was 1/4 cup. I hate when they say anything "desired" or "to taste." If I knew all that stuff I wouldn't need their cookbook.)

Combine cake mix, butter, and oats in a large mixing bowl; press half firmly into the bottom of a greased (or Pam-sprayed) 9x13 baking dish. Set aside. Stir jam and water together (I presumed this was to make the jam easier to spread, and since I had seedless it was already pretty spread-able, so I didn't use the water); spread evenly over crust layer. Cover with remaining crumb mixture; pat firmly over the top (I didn't pat too firmly. I didn't want it to sink too much into the jam). Bake at 375 for 20 minutes; drizzle with glaze while warm. Cool; slice into bars to serve.

So, this was so easy to make and it tasted so good. Even Emma liked it, which is definitely a novelty for her to like anything knew. Not sure where this pickiness of hers comes from...anyhoo, I definitely recommend this one. Talk to you soon!!

No comments: