Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lemon Teriyaki Chicken with Three Cheese Garlic Bread

Hi girls! This is what we had last night for supper. It's from Simple & Delicious. And actually it was good. It's part of a menu they provided, and I made 2 out of 3. The third thing was Broccoli with Smoked Almonds. I just didn't make that because Steve doesn't like nuts. That's the only reason =). Yesterday was a pretty prolific day for me, since I made new cookies too, which I will put in a separate post. So here's the chicken first...

Lemon Teriyaki Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (by the soy sauce at the Walmart)
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp minced garlic (see, even with a garlic press I am still going to have to use garlic in a jar sometimes)
1/2 tsp sugar

Flatten chicken to 1/2 inch thickness (I never do this. It's just too messy and loud. And it always turns out fine); coat with flour. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm (you don't have to like cover them or anything. They'll be on the plate for like a minute). Add the teriyaki sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and sugar to the skillet; stir to loosen browned bits. Return the chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. 4 servings.

See how easy? I like saucy sticky chicken like this. It was quite tasty. Emma and Nathan didn't like it, but you can't judge by them really. The older Pages found it to be very yummy. So this is a keeper. And we had it with Uncle Ben's rice in a bag...the kind that takes 90 seconds in the microwave. That wasn't as good, but I had a coupon, so I have 3 more to use up...We also had it with this bread.

Three Cheese Garlic Bread
1 loaf unsliced Italian bread
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp worcestershire sauce
dash paprika and pepper (I was rushing and left these out accidentally. Still yummy)

Cut bread in half width-wise; cut one half in half again length-wise. Save remaining bread for another use (I stuck my other half in the freezer, because I'm sure we'll have this again). In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spread evenly over cut sides of bread. Place on baking sheet. Bake @ 400 for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice and serve warm.

So this was quite good as well. We love garlic bread, but it's so expensive to buy it already made, and there is too much for one family, and not that good for you either. But, I bought 9-grain Italian bread (didn't even know it existed) and put only these ingredients on. So it was definitely a good alternative. Or altern, if you prefer.

No comments: