Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Peanut Butter Jumbos

I made these cookies yesterday morning. I had a couple extra kids here, so everyone was occupied, so I took the chance to make these. I don't like the name. Because they weren't very big, really. But they do have a variety of ingredients, so maybe that's what "jumbo" about them, I don't know. These are from Simple & Delicious also, Jan/Feb '08.

Peanut Butter Jumbos
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup M&M's miniature baking bits

In a large mixing bowl, cream peanut butter, butter, and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine oats and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and baking bits. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake @ 350 for 12-14 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks. 9 dozen (if you make elf-sized cookies. I got about 6 dozen. And mine weren't that big, either. Certainly not jumbo).

So these did not flatten out like I thought they would. I used my large pampered chef scoop, which is the same scoop I use for all of my cookies, and they basically stayed mounded up like that, instead of spreading out. But the recipe doesn't say to smoosh them with a fork, like you do for other peanut butter cookie recipes. But in the picture, theirs are flat. So I'm not sure what happened there. Maybe I overmixed, since I used my sweet Kitchen Aid mixer. But they were still good, everyone still liked them.

No comments: