Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Raisin Sauce for Pound Cake

This is what we had for dessert last night. It sounds a bit odd, and uses store bought pound cake, but it was quite good, and the "presentation" looked very restraunt-y. Quite exciting. So this dessert would look nice if you had company or something coming. I was making a meal last night for a family with a new baby, so I doubled the sauce so we'd have enough. But I doubled everything but the water! I didn't realize it until I was copying the recipe down in my keeper book. But, I think it's okay, because it came out the texture of like caramel syrup, and maybe it would have been too runny otherwise? I don't know, but here's the recipe (in it's not-doubled format). Oh, it's from Simple & Delicious Jan/Feb '08.

Raisin Sauce for Pound Cake
1/2 of frozen pound cake (obviously you would use the whole thing if you're doubling)(I used Sara Lee. Because nobody doesn't like Sara Lee)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
1 cup water
2 tbsp raisins
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp maple flavoring (I didn't have this so I left it out)

Using a serrated knife, cut pound cake in half length-wise. Slice one half into slices and leave on plate to thaw. Put the other half back in the freezer for another use. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except vanilla & maple and stir until smooth (I used a whisk...that flour gets lumpy right at first). Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook & stir 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and maple. Put cake on dessert plates, top each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and drizzle sauce over all.

This was a yummy dessert, a nice change from the usual (which at our house is nothing for dessert). Sam and Emma both said it was their favorite cake, even though Emma didn't have the sauce. She and Nathan both just had the cake plain but they liked it. Sam said the sauce was really good. And Steve and I both liked it, too.

No comments: