Saturday, August 22, 2009

Savory Grilled T-bones

This was the last recipe I had marked in the July/August '09 Simple & Delicious. Can't wait to get the next issue. You guys should definitely get your moms to order you this magazine for Christmas. So many good recipes!! Anyway...the T-bones. Raise your hand if you know how expensive T-bone steaks are. **Scans the crowd** If you guessed $12 to $15 for ONE then you are correct!! How outrageous!! Must be laced with gold or something. I didn't get T-bones, needless to say. I got tri-tip sirloin, which wasn't the cheapest cut but also wasn't T-bone. I got 4 small steaks for about $10. A good compromise. If I want to pay $25 to $30 for a meal, you can bet I won't be making that meal myself. Sheesh. Anyway this turned out so good, that the cut of meat I bought was just fine. We had this with Barbecued Green Beans, which I will post separately, and the garlic bread recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago that I had intended to have with this steak.

Savory Grilled T-bones
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp wocestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6 beef T-bone steaks (12 oz each)(see note above. If you actually buy T-bones, you might be crazy. Unless you get them with the yellow label on them because they are going bad that day)

In a large ziploc bag, combine the first 11 ingredients; add steaks. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Drain and discard marinade. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, 145 degrees, medium, 160; well-done, 170). 6 servings.

Everyone ate this! Wahoo. Nathan said "Is this chicken?" I said, "No, it's meat." He said "pretend it's chicken." I said, "OK." So we called it chicken. He ate all but 2 of his bites, so I will call it whatever he wants me to. He thinks every juice, no matter what kind, is apple juice. Real apple juice he calls "regular apple juice." So maybe he thinks every meat is chicken. Fine by me. Sam and Emma liked it too. Sam was full of flowery compliments for his mom while he was eating (he gets that from Steve, but he lays it on pretty thick). Steve and I really liked it too. A keeper, for sure.

Of note, I made this on my non-immersible George Foreman grill. I have been using this WAY more than I ever would have predicted, considering I have almost given it away many times, since it's such a huge pain to clean. Steve cleaned it for me last night, which was so sweet (definitely the way to my heart). I shall have to start earnestly searching yard sales for one with a drip tray and removable plates...right now I have to put a dinner plate under the grill to catch the fat, and it's a delicate balancing act to try to clean this thing without getting anything but the plates wet. All while I was cooking, Steve was pretending I was George Foreman (??) and was asking me, like we were on an infomerical, "so, George, why is this better than your traditional grill?" And "what's happening to the fat here, George?" So funny.

No comments: