Saturday, August 22, 2009

Barbecued Green Beans

We had this with the steaks last night. This recipe is from a cookbook that dear friends of our family gave to us, the 2008 Smith Family Reunion Cookbook. Cookbooks like this are great fun to read, but not always to cook with. Some of the older ladies that contribute always say things like "cook in a hot oven until done" or in the directions for a recipe it will say to use an ingredient that wasn't listed in the ingredient list. This trait is not exclusive to this family's cookbook, either. I've read bunches of them, and that is a common thread. But I do like having/reading them. But this recipe I saw looked like it had all the makings of a yummy recipe, so I decided to try it.

Barbecued Green Beans
4 cups green beans (I used fresh)
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup onion
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Place green beans in baking dish. Brown bacon with onions. Put on top of green beans. Mix brown sugar, ketchup, and worcestershire sauce and pour sauce over the green beans. Do not mix. Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes.

It doesn't say to cover them. I did, but I shouldn't have. After 20 minutes the beans were hot but not cooked. After 1o more minutes of being uncovered, I said to Steve "just wanna have crunchy beans?" Everything else had been ready for a while, so he said yes. That's what we did. I think the flavor was really good, even if they weren't all the way done. I think we'll keep this and try them again, uncovered.

Addendum: I just talked to my friend whose recipe this is, she is now on FB, hooray!! She said she usually uses drained canned beans, but you could use any kind and adjust the cooking times accordingly.

No comments: