Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Oven-Barbecued Chicken


This was tonight's supper. This is from a "new" cookbook. I say that because I have had this cookbook so long that I can't even remember where it came from...maybe my grandmother, I don't know. But, I am just now starting to go through it and make things out of it. It is Betty Crocker's New Cookbook (copyright 1996 so not too new); Everything You Need to Know to Cook. This subtitle makes me think it might have come from my parents at some point, since my lack of cooking abilities used to cause much merriment among my family members. Anyway this is the same cookbook that the "Apple Tart Tanker" came from on Saturday, but I'm giving it another shot, since this is the cookbook I've been making banana bread out of for a long time.

Oven-Barbecued Chicken
3 to 3 1/2 pound cut-up broiler-fryer chicken (they did not have my usual brand of cut-up chicken at Wal-mart...I ended up getting an off brand that had the chicken parts listed on the label: 2 breasts, 4 thighs, 2 backs (huh???). So clearly this is from multiple chickens (I hope) or we have proof of that chain mail a while back that KFC was making mutant chickens to speed up their food production process is true...I have never made/eaten a "chicken back" and didn't want to start today...those went to the trash...so we have 2 breasts and 4 thighs...no drumsticks, no wings...BRING BACK THE TYSON CUT UP CHICKEN, WALMART!!!)
3/4 cup chili sauce
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground mustard (dry)
1/2 tsp prepared horseradish (we don't like spice so I left this out)
1/2 tsp red pepper sauce (I did like 5 drops, because again, we don't like spice)(when I say we, I mean me. Steve likes it. Sam does too, to a point. But the little ones and I do not, so...you know how that goes)

Heat oven to 375. Place chicken, skin sides up, in ungreased rectangular 13x9x2 pan. Mix remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes longer or until juice is no longer pink when the thickest pieces are cut.

So this was pretty good. I kept the skin on it like the directions said, but when I cut it up for the kids I took the skin off. I took it off mine too. Steve ate his. I only like poultry skin if it's on a Thanksgiving turkey. Otherwise it seems a bit slimy and gross. I set Nathan's plate down, and he said "it's chicken, right?" I said yes. He ate it all, quite fast. I should give him more chicken every time. But as soon as I do that he'll cut way back. Not sure yet if this one is a keeper. I have to look through my recipe binder that has all my "keepers" to see if there's one like this already. But it was pretty good.

No comments: