Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Oatmeal Surprise Cookies

This is from the newest issue of Simple & Delicious Sept/Oct 2009. I always get so excited when it comes in the mail! This sounded like a good cookie recipe to try for a change. They are called "Oatmeal Surprise" cookies because they have chocolate covered raisins in them instead of the regular kind. Turns out the real "surprise" in these cookies is how much chocolate-covered raisins cost. Not counting any of the other ingredients, just the Raisinets at Walmart, cost $3.00. Maybe they would be cheaper someplace else, I don't know. Anyway, they were good, so here's the recipe:

Oatmeal Surprise Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups chocolate covered raisins

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and raisins. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets (I used stoneware and didn't "grease" them). Flatten slightly. Bake @ 350 for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. 3 dozen.

Oatmeal raisin is one of my favorite cookies, so I knew I would like this one. I told Steve last night I was going to make them, and that I was sorry I was making cookies that he didn't like. He said that just because he didn't like raisins, didn't mean he wasn't going to eat the cookies!! We all had these today after lunch. The kids all ate one, and although they did not have the crazy mass appeal of chocolate chip, wherein they fight each other to lick the bowl and Nathan steals cookies when I'm not looking, I think they did like them. A keeper, even if I'm the only one that thinks they're scrumptious.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Check the Dollar Store for chocolate covered raisins. Just make sure they aren't expired! MUCH cheaper! :O)

NewRecipeNight said...

Well they only cost $1.00 per box at Walmart, the problem was I had to buy 3 boxes to get 1 1/2 cups...so unless the boxes are bigger at the dollar store...but thanks for the tip, I will check the next time I am there!