Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Partial Whole Wheat Bread

This is what's in the machine right now. Don't really like the name, seems too plain. But they did not ask me. I am posting these bread recipes, but I have no idea how they will translate for other people...I don't know how much variance there is between various breadmakers. I suppose if something sounds good and you have a 1.5 lb loaf machine you could just dive in. Otherwise you might have to do a google search or something for your size machine.

Partial Whole Wheat Bread (1.5 lb loaf)
9 oz water
2 tbsp molasses
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour
1 1/2 cups bread machine flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

Add ingredients to pan in the order they are listed. Select setting to "whole wheat." Change crust color if desired. For a higher rising bread, add 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp vital gluten (I don't have any of this...).

So this one smelled SO good baking...we had it with our homemade macaroni and cheese last night. Everyone liked it; Sam ate 2 pieces, Nathan ate half a one but that's still pretty good. Since it's wheat bread it is of course more dense than the white bread I made the day before, but I am eating it for toast right now and it is pretty good just with butter on it, I must say. My friend and fellow cooking/baking enthusiast Jess Harvey suggested making the dough in the breadmaker but baking it in the oven. A fan on the FB page, Tenille, suggested the same thing. They said you get more bread that way, with a better crust. So I may try that next week, I have to work 4 in a row (ugh) starting tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!


No comments: