Thursday, September 17, 2009

Honey Banana Whole Wheat Bread

This is Lani Quimby's recipe that she posted a few weeks ago. I decided to try it in my breadmaker. I'll list the recipe then tell you our results...

Honey Banana Whole Wheat Bread
This bread makes great toast, is light and fluffy, slightly sweet with just a hint of banana flavor. I can't wait to make french toast with it.

Use the whole wheat setting on your bread machine

Add all ingredients to bread pan in order given (or follow order from your machine's instructions)

2 lb. loaf.

2/3 Cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp butter or oil
1/4 cup honey (Lani used agave nectar...I guess you can use any sweetener)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup bread flour
1 banana, sliced
2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp active dry yeast

So this recipe is for a 2 lb loaf, and I have a 1.5 pound machine. But, it has 3 cups of flour, which is what all of the recipes in my little booklet call for for a 1.5 lb loaf. So I decided to just go for it, and not change anything. Hee hee. It was totally fine until it started baking. It smelled so good, by the way. Pretty soon I heard some weird thunks and I looked at the machine and the bread was smooshed up against the glass window at the top of the machine! My mom said that once her bread rose so high it ended up opening the cover of the machine, the bread was ruined and she had to throw it away. I was nervous about this happening to me and contemplated taping the machine shut, but then changed my mind. It never popped the top, so to speak. This morning when I cut into it, the top of the loaf has a huge air bubble. But all in all, it was worth it. The bread was very light, in contrast to the half whole wheat bread that I made a while back. So I think I will keep this one as it is.

No comments: