Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chocolate-Orange Scones

This recipe is from this month's Simple & Delicious, Sept/Oct 2009. It's in a section called "Morning Treats." But we had it for supper last night with scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage. The kids were like "what's scones?" I told them they were like breakfast cookies. The actual definition is: A small, thick biscuit, usually rich with cream and eggs, that is cut into diamond or stick-like shapes and baked in an oven or cooked on a griddle (thank you Google and some website called "Mr. Breakfast.com"). These were very easy and fast because they use pancake mix.

Chocolate-Orange Scones
1 1/2 cups complete buttermilk pancake mix
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 to 3 tsp grated orange peel (I used 2 but I think it could've used more)
2 Hershey bars, chopped

In a small bowl, combine the pancake mix, cream, and orange peel. Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead 6 times. Knead in chocolate. Pat into a 9-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake @ 400 for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.

Nathan wouldn't try these because he didn't like how they looked. But the two big kids LOVED them. Too bad it only makes 8. Definitely a keeper. I don't know how hard scones are to make from scratch. Steve said other scones he has had in the past have been dry, and these were light and fluffy, so maybe it's harder than I think. Maybe it's like cake. Yes, you can make it from scratch, but it's usually drier and denser than that made from a mix. I don't know. But these were good anyway.

1 comment:

NewRecipeNight said...

I would like to add that the other scones Steve has had were not made by me. This is my first time making them. Thank you.