Monday, August 10, 2009

Buttery Parmesan Garlic Bread

Originally I was going to make this with a steak recipe that's also in this issue of Simple & Delicious (July/Aug 2009). I did buy steak to make the recipe, but then with this toothache I've had, which is just now starting to get better, I had to put the steak in the freezer for a different time, and now probably it won't taste as good as it would have because it will be thawed. Oh well, that recipe will follow later. We had this recipe yesterday with oh so delicious Hamburger Helper (HH). I grew up on this stuff and it is comfort food at it's finest. We had Cheeseburger Macaroni, one of their best flavors. I always keep a box of this stuff in the cupboard because it is a good fallback if you are out of recipes. We end up eating it about once every 3 or 4 months but that's okay. Anyway this garlic bread was pretty good.

Buttery Parmesan Garlic Bread
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese (this is fancier than grated...but it's on the same shelf as the grated)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 loaf (8 oz) french bread, halved lengthwise

In a small bowl, combine butter, cheese, and garlic powder. Spread mixture over cut sides of bread. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake @ 400 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. 4 servings.

The french bread at Walmart said it was 13 oz (that seems like a weird random weight for something to be, but whatever). I cut it in half and froze the other half to have again later. But even with half of a 13 oz loaf of bread, which would make it like 6.5 oz, I almost didn't have enough butter. So you might need a bit more. Or else I like too much butter. That could be it. Sam didn't like this, but then he's not a big fan of garlic bread in general. Emma had hers and Nathan's, so that's one kid that liked it. Of course Steve and I liked it. This will be a keeper because it was fast & easy and will go good with HH once in a while!

No comments: