Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beef Enchiladas

We had this last night for supper. Steve loves enchiladas. They are kind of a lot of work. I had another recipe I made a while back for something like garlic beef enchiladas or something...these were good too. They are from the Betty Crocker cookbook I am working my way through.

Beef Enchiladas
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I used dried)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup chopped green pepper (I left these out because Sam doesn't like them)
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 whole green chilies, chopped, if desired (I did not...I do not like spice)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
8 6-inch corn tortillas (I prefer flour so that's what we used)
Additional shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions, if desired

A friend of mine just sent me a recipe and enumerated the steps. I thought it looked nice and easier to read, so I shall try enumerating the steps in this one:

1. Heat oven to 350. (that was a short one)
2. Cook beef in skillet until browned; drain. Stir in onion, sour cream, 1 cup cheese, parsley, and pepper. Cover and set aside.
3. Heat green pepper, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, chilies, garlic, and tomato sauce to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Pour into ungreased pie plate.
4. Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture onto each tortilla; roll tortilla around filling. Place in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 11x7 inches. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas (that whole pie plate thing sounded messy, so I didn't coat the tortillas. I put some sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, arranged the filled undipped enchiladas into the dish, then poured the sauce over it all. They stuck together somewhat when they were done, so I had to be careful about separating them, but I'd rather do that than get enchilada sauce everywhere).
5. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with additional shredded cheese, sour cream, and onions if desired.

I knew Nathan wouldn't like this so he had PB & J, one of two things on his approved list (the other being chicken nuggets). Sam and Emma both ate theirs. They kept insisting it was spicy, even though it wasn't. I told them I had left out some stuff that would have made it spicy. I do not like spice, so if this was spicy, I would know. And it wasn't. Emma did not want to eat hers. The way we convinced her is that she would not have to eat it next time, she could have PB & J like Nathan, but she had to eat it tonight. She grumblingly obliged. I thought they were quite tasty. Steve really liked them too. It's a keeper!! Let me know, girls, what you think of the enumerated recipes vs. the rambling paragraph form that I usually use...have a good day!!

No comments: