Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sizzling Skillet

This is the last recipe for the Fall 2009 Food & Family that I had marked. Many of you who know me know that I love bacon. So what could be yummier than bacon, cooked in a skillet, then chicken cooked in the bacon drippings, then potatoes fried in the bacon drippings? If you can't think of anything else, neither can I. So that's basically tonight's recipe in a nutshell. Here are the details:

Sizzling Skillet
4 slices bacon
4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves
4 cups (1 lb) frozen diced potatoes with peppers and onions, thawed (Walmart just got these and I am very excited about that)
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese

Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to paper towels; discard drippings in skillet (according to my friend Laura, there are many ways to do this. If you are her friend on FB, see her recent note on the subject)(also don't "discard" the drippings to the point that there is not enough to cook your chicken in...dump out the excess but don't like wipe the pan out or anything). Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; cover and keep warm. Crumble bacon. Add to skillet with potatoes; cook and stir 5 minutes or until heated through. Place chicken over potatoes; top with cheese. Cover; cook 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. 4 servings

So as I hinted at above, this was quite a delicious meal. In retrospect I should have served a vegetable with this but next time I will. Definitely a keeper. When I have said above that you are cooking in the bacon drippings, it doesn't end up like fried chicken or anything. It's just like when you use cooking oil or cooking spray or butter, just instead of one of those you use bacon drippings. Okay? It was really good and you should try it!!

No comments: