Thursday, October 29, 2009

Herb Chicken with Honey Butter

This is another recipe from this month's Simple & Delicious (Nov/Dec 2009). I like recipes with poultry seasoning because they're very Thanksgiving-y and I like that flavor. Also, I paid way too much for my bottle of poultry seasoning so I like to justify it like that. I think maybe when I run out of it I will google "poultry seasoning" and see if I can make it myself. That's what I did for pumpkin pie seasoning and saved $9 (I am not kidding; that was the real price of pumpkin pie seasoning at Hannaford, they didn't even have it at Walmart).

Herb Chicken with Honey Butter
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp dried parsley flakes (when I put in 1 tbsp it seemed like too much almost, so I left out the 2nd tbsp)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey

Place egg in shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl combine bread crumbs and seasonings. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 3 tbsp butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Meanwhile, combine softened butter and honey. Serve with chicken.

I will confess that I did not make the honey butter. It just seemed like it would be extra fat that we didn't need to consume. I knew the kids wouldn't want it because they would think it was "sauce" so it would just be me & Steve, and maybe Sam, for this quantity of honey butter. So we left it out. The chicken was still quite good, the kids enjoyed it and it was very very moist. Had a good flavor. I wasn't going to keep this one because it didn't stand out to me, and I have bunches of yummy chicken recipes, but now I as I'm typing I'm remembering the good things about it. Also I did not have to buy any of these ingredients so it would be good on a night that I have no idea what to make. So a keeper after all.

No comments: