Thursday, November 5, 2009

Apple-Berry Crumb Pie

This is the last recipe I had marked to try from the Nov/Dec 2009 Simple & Delicious. If your favorite part of apple crisp is the "crisp," then you will like this recipe, because the crust is made out of the same stuff the crisp is made of. It was a yummy fall dessert.

Apple-Berry Crumb Pie
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup flour (I used 2/3 cup white and 1/3 cup wheat. It probably doesn't make that big of a difference but I wanted to make it a teensy bit healthier. Probably it didn't. That's okay)
1/2 cup brown sugar
10 tbsp butter, melted
1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Vanilla ice cream, optional (not at our house. It's mandatory)

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and butter; set aside 3/4 cup for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake @ 375 for 13-17 minutes or until lightly browned. In another bowl, combine the pie filling, cranberries, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping is lightly browned (I only did 20 and it was definitely done). Cool on wire rack. Serve with ice cream if desired.

Steve wanted whipped cream on his. He wanted it so bad he decided to whip it himself with our sweet Kitchen Aid mixer. Then he cut the pie and served it. Let me tell you that there was so much whipped cream on mine (he said he gave himself a big serving and thought I would be jealous so he gave me a bunch too) anyway the first few bites I couldn't even tell how the pie tasted due to the quantity of whipped cream. So I scraped a bunch off to the side, then ate some more. Just as I suspected, it was tasty. If you wanted to be healthier and not use canned pie filling, I'm sure you could make it just like when you are making a regular apple pie, this was just easier. Because the name of the magazine is Simple & Delicious, not Complicated & Delicious.

1 comment:

kelizzle/johnnyred said...

Sounds yummy maybe I'll make one for the women's breakfast. Thanks!