Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Maple Frosting

So last week I made "Applesauce Cake" from the Betty Crocker cookbook I'm going through. The cake came out dense and not very tasty. But we did like the frosting, so that's the only part I'll post. We actually ended up throwing the cake away, because I know Steve would eat it, but I told him "if we're going to get fat, it's going to be on yummy stuff, not on stuff we don't even like." I think that's a good philosophy, in general. The frosting was quite good, though, such that he wanted to scrape it off the cake. I didn't let him.

Maple (Nut) Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
1/2 cup maple-flavored syrup
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (optional, I left them out)

Mix powdered sugar and butter in medium sized bowl. Stir in maple syrup. Beat until smooth and spreadable. Stir in nuts, if using. Frosts one 13x9 inch cake or fills and frosts on 8 or 9 inch 2 layer cake.

So this would be good on fallish desserts. I have another recipe for Johnny Appleseed Cake that is my mom's recipe, which I might try this frosting on again.

No comments: