Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Apple Bars with Spice Glaze

This is a fallish dessert, but I don't think it would be good with the frosting recipe I just posted, especially since this one has its own glaze. I made this on Sunday to send with Steve to a birthday party, since I had to work (of course). I told him to make sure he ate one and take careful notes, for my reading public. He ended up bringing home a couple of them, so I did get to eat one to try it. Pretty good, I think. From the Betty Crocker cookbook I'm going through.



Apple Bars
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups flour (white or whole-wheat...I used white, since it was for other people. Next time I may use half of each)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups chopped peeled cooking apples (2 small)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out)
Spice Glaze (below)

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9 pan. Mix brown sugar, oil, milk, and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda, and spices. Stir in apples and nuts (this got very thick and Steve actually had to do this part). Spread in pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes back clean. Cool 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Drizzle with Spice Glaze. Cool completely. Cut into bars.

Spice Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 to 2 tbsp apple juice or milk (I used cider)

Mix all ingredients until smooth and spreadable. (start with 1 tbsp...I did two at once and ended up needing like twice the amount of powdered sugar to make it the right consistency)

So these were so easy to make, and they smelled great too. Definitely keeping these. I told Nathan they were apple brownies. I don't know if the kids liked them or not but Steve said people were eating them so I guess that's a good sign. Anyone who was there, your feedback would be nice! Just leave a comment.

No comments: