Thursday, November 12, 2009

Spicy Chorizo Chili

This wasn't really spicy. And I don't know what Chorizo is. I know they don't have it at Wal-Mart though. I just left it out and it was still great.

Spicy Chorizo Chili
2 small links chorizo, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green or red pepper, diced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional, and I left it out)
1 1/4 cups reserved pork roasting juices
1 can beef broth
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
3 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 1b cider braised pork loin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (see Master Recipe)

Warm 1 tbsp oil in 8-qt Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook chorizo (if you found it), onion, bell, and jalapeno peppers about 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Add roasting juices, broth, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add beans and diced pork; simmer 15 minutes longer. Serve over rice if desired. This helpfully suggests that you can serve it with a "dollop" of sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro as well.

Steve's only complaint about this chili was that it was too "beany." It did have a high bean ratio, I'll give him that. But the flavor of this chili was amazing. It was so good. Much better than just hamburger, chili powder, tomato sauce, and whatever else I was putting in other recipes in the past. I have made chili before but this was way better. I think when I make it again I may put at least a couple different kinds of beans in, so it won't be so much of the same kind. But we will definitely make it again. This would be hard to make without using the "master recipe" because of the roasting juices you have to put in. So so good.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Actually walmart does hace chorizo and it is sooooo good. It's by the sausage, you should definitely try it.