Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cheesy Hash Skillet

Well, illness (mine and the kids') has had me out for the count. I have still been cooking etc but have not had as much time to post things. I'm going to try to catch up today.

We had this recipe last week (I think) because we love having breakfast for supper. It's from the last free issue of Kraft Food & Family. That's right. Because of the economy, you now have to pay for your (formerly free) subscription. It is like $8 for a year. I am opting not to continue. I get Simple & Delicious in the mail already. I love that one. This Kraft one does have a couple things I make each time, but I have noticed a lot of repetition in the years I have been getting it. Additionally, every recipe is designed to have you buy some kind of Kraft product. I usually, when typing these recipes, don't put the product they are pitching into it, just the general name (like, shredded cheddar, instead of Kraft 2% milk shredded cheddar). But the whole magazine is like a big ad. So, I've decided not to purchase the subscription (Duke Frugal would never approve anyway, hee hee). But if you have already bought yours, that's okay. Don't feel bad.

Cheesy Hash Skillet
6 slices bacon
1 small onion, chopped
4 cups frozen hash browns, thawed (cubed not shredded)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (insert product placement here)
6 eggs

Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Reserve 3 tbsp drippings in skillet. Add onions and potatoes to skillet; cover. Cook on med-high heat 14 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Make 6 small wells in potato mixture; fill with eggs. top with bacon; cook, covered, 3-4 minutes, or just until eggs are set. Let stand, covered, 1 minute.

Okay well I don't like that kind of eggs. I like scrambled eggs. So I was going to scramble them up, then put them, scrambled, into the 6 small wells, and let them cook. The problem was, my potatoes were dangerously close to being burnt, and I thought if I added eggs to them they would just burn even more. So I scrambled them separately and served them separately on the plates, too. So this ended up being not that much different than the other breakfasts for supper that I make. Oh well.

No comments: