Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sour Cream Chicken

I don't really like sour cream, as a condiment at least. For example, whenever I go to Taco Bell and get my beloved Nachos Bell Grande, I always order them with no sour cream and no tomatoes. But I have found a few recipes lately that use sour cream, either in baking or just as an ingredient. Recently I had "funeral potatoes" at my friend's house, and that had sour cream in it. They were good. And a couple of months ago I made Sour Cream Spice Cake which, obviously, also contained it. So when I saw this recipe I decided to try it. This is from Simple & Delicious, Jan/Feb 2010. It's from a section called "Lightened-Up Favorites." I have my doubts if this recipe really qualifies for that, but since you skin the chicken first, maybe they're right...

Sour Cream Chicken
1 cup (8 oz) reduced fat sour cream (oh, I see now)
2 tbsp minced cloves
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-3 lbs), cut up and skin removed
2 tbsp reduced-fat butter (?), melted

In a shallow bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Place bread crumbs in a second shallow bowl. Coat chicken with sour cream mixture, then coat with bread crumbs. Arrange chicken on rack (I didn't do this) on foil lined 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, @ 350 for 30 minutes. Drizzle with melted butter; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until juices run clear. 4 servings.

I think that no matter how you look at this, it still has a bunch of fat. The recipe includes nutrition information, but I will not, because I love you guys. Fried chicken is never healthy anyway, right? They do claim that this method saves 15 g of fat per serving, but who knows what the original way was? Anyway...all that being said it was pretty good. The kids, by looking at it, did not expect to like it, but Emma did after all. Nathan didn't really like it, because of the stuff on it, he said. Sam ate his. Steve said it was really good. I thought it was okay, but I could taste the tang of the sour cream which I didn't love. Steve said he couldn't tell. One of the benefits of not cooking =0)

No comments: