Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tuscan Chicken and White Bean Stew

This is the last recipe using the chicken from the master recipe I posted. This was my least favorite of the 3, probably because of the cloying nature of the garlic. But Steve and Sam seemed to like it well enough.

Tuscan Chicken and White Bean Stew
1/2 cup roasted garlic puree from master recipe
4 cans (15 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans chicken broth
1/4 lb pancetta (?) or bacon, diced
1 cup thinly sliced baby carrots
2 large shallots, minced
1/2 cup white wine or water (guess which one I used?)
2 tsp rosemary
4 cups roast chicken meat from master recipe
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In blender, puree 2 cups of the beans and 1 cup of the chicken broth with the garlic puree; set aside. In 5-quart pot over medium heat, cook pancetta or bacon 4 minutes until browned, stirring often. Add carrots and shallots; cook 2 minutes longer, stirring. Add wine and rosemary; bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Stir in pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, remaining whole beans, and chicken. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring mixture to a boil; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. 6-8 servings

After I pureed the stuff in the blender, all I could smell was the garlic. The Tupperware I had been storing the garlic puree in still smells like garlic. All I could taste when I ate the soup was garlic. Steve said he didn't have that same feeling. Must be one of the hazards of being the family cook. He ate all the leftovers too because the thought of eating more garlic again was not at all appetizing. This might be good without the garlic puree, or substituting minced cloves or something, I'm not sure. I know I won't make it again this way, at least. But if you are worried about vampires, by all means make the puree and this soup recipe. It will be good protection.

No comments: