Saturday, December 19, 2009

Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie

This is the first recipe from the master recipe of roasted chicken I posted previously. I made two of these, since one of the recipes in this master recipe was chicken divan, which has a ton of broccoli in it. So since I skipped that recipe, I had enough chicken to double this recipe. I made one pot pie for a friend at work that had her appendix removed. Then someone else at work told me that it gave her food poisoning, which made me feel very bad. Turned out they made that up (they thought they were being funny. Well, hardy har har). But nobody else (my family or hers) got sick from the meal so...

Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
3 tbsp butter
3 large shallots, minced (I used green onions because I happened to have some left from another recipe)
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups baby carrots, halved length-wise
3 cups roast chicken from master recipe
1 pkg (10 oz) mushrooms, quartered (I left these slimy things out)
1 cup frozen peas

Melt butter in large deep skillet over med-low heat. Add shallots; cook 4 minutes. Stir in flour, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Increase heat; add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring to break up any lumps of flour. Add carrots; cook 5 minutes. Add chicken, mushrooms, and peas; cook 5 minutes. Pour into prepared pan ( a greased 2 qt casserole). At this point you can cover and freeze the filling. Or, to finish it now, preheat oven to 350. Prepare 1 pkg (7.5 oz) corn bread mix according to pkg directions (or make it from scratch for the corn bread size being an 8x8 pan; that's what I did). Let batter stand 5 minutes; pour over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes, or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly. 6-8 servings.

So besides causing my friend multiple trips to the doctor and ED, this was a pretty yummy recipe. Ha ha. She says it wasn't my cooking, it was the antibiotics. Phew. I was really second-guessing myself for awhile. Anyway her husband said it was good. My family liked it too. So it's a keeper. Obviously you could make this with any chicken, you wouldn't have to start with the master recipe.

No comments: