Thursday, December 3, 2009

Butterscotch Brownies

This was a recipe I've had marked for a while in the Betty Crocker cookbook I've been going through. I am all done the "entrees" in this cookbook but I have a bunch more desserts marked. This is unfortunate in that I am trying to not eat this stuff. But, I love to bake. Such a conundrum.

Butterscotch Brownies
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1/2 chopped nuts (I left these out)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of 8x8 square pan with shortening (or use cooking spray). Melt shortening in saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla, and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in pan. Bake 25 minutes. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack. Cut into 2 inch squares while warm.

I made these on Tuesday. They are gone already. Steve really liked them, plus, it was only an 8x8 pan, which takes no time at all to go through in a family of 5. And, Nathan didn't even get one. I will definitely make these again. How would they be with butter instead of shortening? I plan to find out. Also this recipe claims to yield 16 brownies. That is an out and out falsehood. I cut them into 9. 16 brownies from an 8x8 pan? I can just imagine the mutiny if I handed my child a brownie that size and said "here's your dessert." Cha. Right. But they were very very tasty. A keeper for sure.

No comments: