Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Turkey Cutlets with Pan Gravy and Crunchy Mashed Potatoes

This is the first recipe from the latest issue of Simple & Delicious Jan/Feb 2009. Why do magazines come out a month early anyway? In a way I am sad because getting this one means that I won't get another one until the end of February, when I will get March's. Anyway this recipe had a vegetable as part of it's menu, which I did not make because I do not like broccoli. We just had this with corn. This recipe is in case you didn't have your fill of turkey last month. Ha ha.

Turkey Cutlets with Pan Gravy
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 ts seasoned salt
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
1 pkg (17.6 oz) turkey breast cutlets
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth

Combine poultry seasoning, seasoned salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Sprinkle over turkey. In a large skillet, cook cutlets in batches in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until turkey juices run clear. Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. In same skillet, melt butter (I still had so much oil in the skillet that I didn't add the extra butter, but you might have to) and stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; season with remaining pepper. Serve with turkey. 4 servings.

Crunchy Mashed Potatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup sour cream (forgot to buy this so I left it out)
1 1/2 cups cheddar french-fried onions (I used regular rather than cheddar)
1/4 grated parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Remove from heat. Add the milk, garlic, and pepper. Whisk in potato flakes and sour cream until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with onions and cheese. Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 20-30 seconds (not minutes, that would be so bad) or until golden brown. 5 servings

Any of my long-time readers (mom, Jess, and Terri) know that I can barely resist recipes with french fried onions, except green bean casserole which I don't like because of the mushroom soup. Almost without fail, when I see a recipe with them, I make it because I like them VERY much. You can eat them right out of the can. Also if you have leftovers (and if you buy the big can, you always have leftovers) you can put them on the baking tray of your toaster oven and toast them a bit and they are so good with ketchup. That's a free tip for today. So of course I made this recipe for the potatoes. These were both pretty good.

No comments: