Friday, February 5, 2010

Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas

We had this for supper last night. It is meatless, so good for you vegetarian types. Also so so so yummy, so good for those of you who like yummy food. I am, generally, not that big of a fan of meatless things, because I don't like vegetables, really, and usually meatless recipes rely on things like eggplant or zucchini or whatever. But not these. And these are pretty inexpensive to make too. I stumbled upon this recipe while thumbing through a magazine my mom had passed on to me, All You. Because of course it's all about YOU. According to this magazine, at least. Anyways the Bible says "Let each esteem others as better than himself" (Philippians 2:3). But whatever. Also a big shout out to my mom for bringing me salsa and corn so that I didn't have to bring all 3 kids out to get 2 little things. Okay so here's the recipe.

Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (I didn't thaw mine first and it was still fine)
1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I left this out b/c I don't like spice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz pepper jack, shredded (I used Mexican shredded b/c I don't like pepper)
salt and pepper
8 8-inch flour tortillas (we used whole wheat ones)

In a bowl, coarsely mash beans with potato masher. Warm a large skillet over med-high heat; add corn and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until corn begins to brown (this only took like 2 minutes for me, probably because the corn was still frozen and the pan might have been too hot). Add corn to bowl with beans. In the same skillet, warm oil. Add onion and jalapeno and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir mixture into bowl with beans and corn. Let mixture cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes. When cool, stir in cheese and add salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 200. Spread a tortilla out on a work surface and spread 1/2 cup of mixture over half. Fold tortilla in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas and bean mixture. Warm a large skillet (I used the same one) over med-high heat. Cook as many tortillas as fit in the skillet, 3 minutes, then flip quesadillas and cook until golden brown and crispy and cheese is melting, 2-3 minutes longer. Place quesadillas on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook remaining quesadillas. Cut into wedges and serve.

So it doesn't say anything about adding oil before you cook the quesadillas, but the first 2 I made burned a bit, so I added a bit of oil and turned the heat down for the remaining quesadillas and they came out quite nicely. We had ours with a little bit of salsa on the side for dipping. I knew Nathan wouldn't like this, so he had chicken nuggets, but Sam and Emma loved these. Steve and I did too. Seriously these were so good. Definitely a keeper and probably we'll make them again really soon.

No comments: