Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Haitian Chicken

A couple of months ago a friend of mine, Stephanie Dunn, found this recipe when we were having a Haiti meeting. I don't know where she got it from. She made it with boneless chicken breast strips and made them in a skillet on the stove top. I thought I would try it like it was written. I am 98% certain that most Haitians do not eat this way, having eaten many meals there myself. But, maybe. We had this with brown rice (made with my homemade chicken stock yummmmmmm instead of water) and green beans (sans hair, if you saw Steve's facebook poll yesterday).

Haitian Chicken
2 1/2 lb chicken, cut up
1/4 cup lime juice
2 1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
pinch of red pepper
1 lg clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp basil

Arrange chicken skin side down in shallow baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350 uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn and bake 30 more minutes, basting. Broil until browned. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Turns out, I didn't have to broil mine, it browned quite nicely just the way it was. This was pretty tasty. I think it was too much basil, but besides that it was pretty good. Steve just chimed it "It was really good." Sam picked up his drumstick and ate it (usually I pick the meat off the bones for the kids, and I still did for Emma & Nathan, but I thought it was time for Sam to eat it the real way) and he did admirably. Overall a good recipe.

I was just informed by my other dear friend Renee Reilly that she found this recipe rather than Stephanie (if you read the comments on this post then you realized that, too). Just want to give credit where credit is due!!

1 comment:

Luv2beoutdoor said...

Hey, this is Renee. Actually, I found this recipe along with several other dessert recipes for our Haiti meeting by doing Google search. I found a web-site that had a TON of Haitian recipes. Some of them sounded really good. One was a banana pancake that was eaten as a dessert with powered sugar. Probably not authentic, but sounded good!! :) So when we were planning our lunch, I picked this one due to it's easy recipe, prep, and cooking instructions. It did turn out pretty good. Next time, I would actually take the time to marinate the chicken. :)