Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Classic Beef Barley Stew

This is another one from the crock pot cookbook that I got for Christmas. Barley is good for you. That's why I picked this one.

Classic Beef Barley Stew
2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 16 oz bag baby carrots
1 8 oz pkg sliced fresh mushrooms (yuck. Omitted)
1 cup medium pearl barley
4 cups beef broth
4 cups water
2 bay leaves

Trim excess fat from stew meat. On large plate, combine flour, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss beef in this mixture to coat. Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet. Add beef cubes; brown, stirring, on all sides, about 5-6 minutes. Remove beef from skillet and place in 6 quart slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to skillet; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes, stirring to loosen pan drippings. Add onions and garlic to slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and serve.

Okay so this was pretty good. I had to add salt to my bowl, which I was surprised at because of the salty broth. But other than that it was good. The meat was very very tender, Emma didn't complain a bit. So a keeper. A bunch of it is going in the freezer too so I have meals ready when I am "laid up" with my hip surgery. Good times.

No comments: